Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Book Review of The Host by Stephanie Meyer


The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Book Review: (SPOILER FREE)
Title & Author- The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Genre- Young Adult, Teen Fiction, Science Fiction, Romance, Adventure, Futuristic
Rating- 4.5/5
Synopsis- Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading “soul” who has been given Melanie’s body, didn’t expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer’s thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she’s never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.”
Review- Page-wise, I think this is the longest book I’ve ever read.  The beginning was pretty damn slow however, the middle/end section flew by quickly!
I’m giving this book a 4.5/5 rating.  The reason it didn’t get a full five-out-five stars from me was because the beginning was monotonus.  I was 150 pages in and I still didn’t see the story picking up.  I think Meyer could’ve spared some trees and shortened the beginning section of the book.  With the pacing as agonizingly slow as it was, I couldn’t give the book the full five star rating.  But, don’t let that keep you from reading this book!  If you’re interested in a new-word, science fiction story with some romance, you’ll enjoy this.  I’m not that into science fiction but honestly, I don’t think this is considered a true sci-fi book.  Its focus wasn’t only on the science part of the story; a lot of story was about the Wanda becoming a part of Melanie’s body and them discovering a small human civilization.  It’s also about much more than that but that was the stripped down gist.  I would highly recommend giving it a chance (read up to 200 pages and if you still aren’t that interested, then pick up a different book).  The rest of the story gets much better!
I really enjoyed the characters in the story.  I loved how as the story developed, so did they.  Another thing I noticed, I was also able to tell them all apart, that none of them ever blended together in my head.  I was also a big fan of all the relationships in the story.  All the interaction between each other, it was interesting and entertaining.  So much happened in the story, I don’t know how I’m going to be able to point out all the great moments!  I’m just going to keep it short by saying, it was all amazing (aside from Ian babying Wanda at times, that’s my only other complaint).
I love getting to see Meyer’s story writing kicked up a notch.  I read her Twilightnovels when I was in middle school and I loved the saga!  But thinking of reading that now as a senior in high school, I would probably have to agree with those who said Bella was annoying and the story was kind of dumb.  I attempted to read The Host when it first came out (I was still in middle school), but I had a hard time understand the story and had little patients to even try.  But reading it now, I thought it wasn’t too hard to comprehend.  I feel like Meyer’s target audience was more towards middle schoolers (but that’s just my opinion).  I thought The Host was a bit more mature.
Also, I’m very pleased Meyer didn’t write a sequel to the story.  I felt like the story ended well and didn’t need a continuation.  But I’m curious, how long has it been since she has written a book?  Does she still write?  Hmmm… I’ll have to look that up.
Overall, I enjoyed the middle and end sections of the book.  I would defiantly recommend you give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment