Saturday, June 21, 2014

Book Review of Forever... by Judy Blume

Forever... by Judy Blume
Book Review: (SPOILER FREE until the last paragraph)
Title & Author- Forever... by Judy Blume
Genre- Young Adult, Teen Fiction, Romance, Coming of age
Rating- 1.5/5
Synopsis- "When you build up something in your mind—really imagine it, wish for it—sometimes, when it actually happens, it doesn't live up to your expectations.

True love is nothing like that. 

Especially not for Katherine and Michael, who can't get enough of each other. Their relationship is unique: sincere, intense, and fun all at the same time. Although they haven't been together all that long, they know it's serious. A whole world opens up as young passion and sexuality bloom.

But it's senior year of high school, and there are big changes ahead. Michael and Katherine are destined for another big "first": a decision. Is this the love of a lifetime, or the very beginning of a lifetime of love?

Review- I'm telling you now, this book is short but don't waste your time reading it.  

I really couldn't decide on if I wanted to give this book a 1 or a 1.5.  But since the book had the intention of providing a valuable lesson, I decided to give it a .5 boost. Don't fall into the pressures of sex.  It's easier said than done but just make sure you're aware of what you're getting yourself into.

Another thing you should know about this book, it was published in 1975.  I couldn't really tell it was written almost four decades ago until I was about three fourths of the way into the book.  Blume wrote about how the 18 year olds were showing their IDs at the bar and getting drunk.  I was like, how is that legal?!  Then I saw the publishing date and figured it out.  The story does feel a tiny bit old fashioned but it wasn't until they were drinking that I really thought something was odd.

So... my thoughts.  Was it necessary to add "..." every time a character was speaking?  I mean... every page... you'd see... this...  I know, I'm being whiney but really.  Why? Was it necessary to have all the "..."s?  I just blamed it on the fact that the book was written forty years ago.

As for the characters, Jamie, Katherine's sister, was the only character I actually liked in the book.  All the rest were just irritating.  From the way Blume wrote her characters, Katherine seemed like the younger one compared to Katherine.  Katherine was insecure and naive.  She thought she knew better than her parents, her life revolved around her boyfriend, her priorities were pushed back because of him... Blah blah blah.  She was pretty much a typical high school girl.  Lucky for her, her parents were pretty honest with her and they were more laid back than the parents I've read about in books and in real life.  As for Michael, ugh.  He was just... no.  I didn't hate him but I really didn't like him.  And oh my gosh, *spoiler* who the fuck names their penis?!  Ew.  I almost couldn't finish the book because reading about the two of them together, it wasn't very interesting.

Like I said on a goodreads update, it's great that this story showed a realistic relationship in high school, but read it felt like a waste of time (even if the book was short).

No comments:

Post a Comment