Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Book Review of Because of Low by Abbi Glines

Because of Low by Abbi Glines

Book Review: (SPOILER FREE until the last paragraph)
Title & Author- Because of Low by Abbi Glines
Genre- Young Adult, Teen Fiction, Romance, Chick Lit
Rating- 4.5/5
Synopsis- "It’s steamy in the Gulf town of Sea Breeze. Physical attraction is the only way to beat the heat in this second book of the Sea Breeze series from bestselling, previously self-published author Abbi Glines.

Playboy Cage owns the apartment, and he hosts a revolving door of people, in and out, at all times. Most of them are long-legged hot girls who are never there more than a night or two. When Cage’s new roommate, Marcus, enters the picture, he’s just looking to nurse a broken heart. But there’s one particular semi-frequent regular who catches his eye.

Willow—“Low”—is the one Cage wants to marry. But the two of them are night and day, and Marcus can’t see how Low puts up with all of Cage’s womanizing. What she really needs is a real man....like good-looking and sensible Marcus. But that’s going to get real complicated and real messy and real fast."

Review- I'd say this book earned a 4.5/5 rating.

I can't really pin anything specific I didn't enjoy about this book. I enjoyed it; there were moments when I was literally squealing and LOLing. But, I don't think this book will be too memorable. Maybe that's why I can't justify giving it a full 5/5.

Seeing the relationship between Willow and Cage was odd. But despite his poor lifestyle choices, I thought Cage was an amazing guy to Low. I've never met, in person or in a book, a guy like Cage. Maybe I'll be convinced in the next book but I can't see myself ever wanting to be in a romantic relationship with him.  I'd love to have him as a friend though!

At first, I was annoyed with the way Cage treated her like a child. I then realized, it was how Cage protected her. I thought she allowed herself to be treated that way, but she didn't have anyone there to defend her, and her relationship with Cage was a huge part of her life. Also, she was dedicated to giving her sister a good life. She was always there for her when she could be and she treated her better than her  sister/baby's mother did.

There was an instant attraction between Marcus and Willow but I appreciated that their relationship built over time. I admired Marcus' desire to earn what he has. He didn't accept any money or bribes from his father and he worked to make a living. Also, he treated everyone with respect. You can tell he will do anything for the people he's closest to in his life.


One thing that seems to happen when I read Glines' books is I can't help but lose it in laughter when the character get intimate. But, I don't want to give too much away regarding the relationship between Marcus and Willow! All I will say is it's hot and adorable. You'll just have to read the book to see what else happens between them :D


Because of Low by Abbi Glines (spine)

                                                                                     

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! 
I just wanted to comment on the ending. I was surprisingly happy with the turn out. I thought when Marcus came back to Willow to tell her he was wrong and sorry she would immediately take him back. But she realized over time that she needed to be on her own for a little while. Yeah, it was stupid of her to say she wouldn't give her heart out to anyone but I think of it as her way of giving herself space. Then, Marcus proved to her that he'll be there for her though it all by giving her the note and shirt *swoon*! And Cage was able to let her go in the hands of someone who'll love her just as much as he does if not more. Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment